Ford Mustang Service Manual: Removal
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the rear wheel and tire assemblies.
3. CAUTION: Remove the rear brake calipers to prevent drag during the drive pinion bearing preload adjustment.
CAUTION: Do not allow the calipers to hang from the brake hoses.
Remove the rear brake caliper and support bracket from the knuckle as an assembly. Wire the caliper and support bracket assembly out of the way.
4. CAUTION: Index-mark the driveshaft flange and rear axle pinion flange (4851) to maintain initial balance during installation.
CAUTION: The driveshaft centering socket yoke fits tightly on the rear axle pinion flange pilot. Never hammer on the driveshaft (4602) or any of its components to disconnect the yoke from the flange. Pry only in the area shown, with a suitable tool, to disconnect the yoke from the flange.
Disconnect and position the driveshaft out of the way.
5. Install an Nm (inch/pound) torque wrench on the nut and record the torque necessary to maintain rotation of the drive pinion gear through several revolutions.
6. CAUTION: After removing the nut, discard it. Use a new nut for installation.
Use the special tool to hold the rear axle pinion flange while removing the nut.
7. Index-mark the rear axle pinion flange and drive pinion gear stem to maintain initial balance during installation.
8. Using the special tool, remove the rear axle pinion flange.
Changing the vehicle battery
WARNING: Batteries normally produce explosive gases which can cause personal injury. Therefore, do not allow flames, sparks or lighted substances to come near the battery. When working near the battery, always shield your face and protect your eyes. Alwa ...
Acceleration Control (Diagnosis and Testing)
Acceleration Control (Description and Operation) Component Locations The throttle is controlled by the accelerator cable which is connected to the accelerator pedal and shaft. The accelerator pedal and shaft should travel smoothly from the idle t ...
Gearshift Rail and Fork
Manual Transmission The TR3650 five-speed manual transmission features the following: The fifth speed gear functions as an overdrive gear. The forward gears are synchronized and helical cut. The reverse gear operates through a constant-mesh, fully ...