Ford Mustang Service Manual: Principles of Operation
Principles of Operation
NOTE: A new instrument cluster must be reconfigured. Refer to Section.
The instrument cluster is a hybrid electronic cluster (HEC). The instrument cluster uses both hardwired and the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network to transmit and receive information. As a technician it is very important to understand:
- where the input originates from.
- all information necessary in order for a feature to operate.
- which module(s) receive(s) the input or command message.
- does the module which received the input control the output of the feature, or does it output a message over the SCP network to another module?
- which module controls the output of the feature.
The instrument cluster carries out a display prove-out to verify that the warning/indicator miniature bulbs for monitored systems are functioning correctly. When the ignition switch is in the ON position with the engine off, the following warning indicators will prove out:
- anti-lock brake (ABS) warning indicator
- air bag warning indicator
- BRAKE warning indicator
- charging system indicator
- fail safe cooling warning indicator
- low coolant level indicator
- low fuel warning indicator
- traction control indicator
Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe - 4.6L (4V)
Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - Supercharger, Charge Air Cooler The supercharger (SC) is a positive displacement pump. Its purpose is to supply an excess volume of intake air to the engine by increasing air pressure and density in the intake man ...
Stay Pad - Convertible Top
Convertible Top (Description and Operation) Rear Window Glass Assembly The convertible top assembly is equipped with a rear window glass assembly. The rear window glass assembly is permanently attached to the folding top rear window curtain ...
Engine Ignition (Description and Operation) Eight separate ignition coils: are controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). are mounted directly above each spark plug. are controlled by the powertrain control module for correct firing sequenc ...