Ford Mustang Owners Manual: Manual transmission
Using the Clutch
Manual transmission vehicles have a starter interlock that prevents starting the engine unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.
To start the vehicle: 1. Make sure the parking brake is fully set.
2. Press the clutch pedal to the floor, then put the gearshift lever in the neutral position.
3. Start the engine.
4. Press the brake pedal and move the gearshift lever to the desired gear; position 1 or position R .
5. Release the parking brake, then slowly release the clutch pedal while slowly pressing on the accelerator.
During each shift, the clutch pedal must be fully pressed to the floor.
Make sure the floor mat is properly positioned so it does not interfere with the full extension of the clutch pedal.
: Failure to fully press the clutch pedal to the floor may cause increased shift efforts, prematurely wear transmission components or damage the transmission.
: Do not drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal or use the clutch pedal to hold your vehicle at a standstill while waiting on a hill.
These actions will reduce the life of the clutch and could nullify a clutch warranty claim.
Recommended Shift Speeds
: Do not downshift into position 1 when your vehicle is moving faster than 15 mph (24 km/h). This may damage the clutch or transmission.
Upshift according to the following charts.
For the 3.7L V6 with 2.73 axle ratio, shift according to the following chart:
For the 3.7L V6 with 3.31 axle ratio, shift according to the following chart:
For the 5.0L V8, shift according to the following chart:
: The gearshift lever can only be moved to position R by pushing the knob down before shifting to reverse. This is a lockout feature which protects the transmission from accidentally engaging position R when intending to select position 1.
1. Make sure that your vehicle is at a complete stop before you shift into position R . Failure to do so may damage the transmission.
2. Press the clutch pedal to the floor to disengage clutch.
3. Shift into position R by pushing the gearshift knob down, then moving the lever fully to the left, then forward.
: Do not press down on the shifter during any operation other than shifting to position R, as you may be inhibited from selecting your desired gear.
If position R is not fully engaged, press the clutch pedal down and return the gearshift to the neutral position. Release the clutch pedal for a moment, then press it down and shift to position R again.
Parking Your Vehicle
: Do not park your vehicle in Neutral, it may move unexpectedly and injure someone. Use 1 (First) gear and set the parking brake fully.
To park your vehicle:
1. Apply the brake and shift into the neutral position.
2. Fully apply the parking brake, hold the clutch pedal down, then shift into position 1.
3. Turn the ignition off.
Clutch (Description and Operation)
Clutch (Description and Operation) The primary function of the clutch is to couple and uncouple engine power to the transmission upon driver command. The clutch is a single plate, dry friction clutch disc. The clutch disc has a splined hub (with ...
Torque Converter End Play Check
Transmission Description (Description and Operation) The 4R70W has the following features: Wide ratio gears Four speeds Rear wheel drive Automatic Electronic shift Torque converter clutch control Line pressure controls The transm ...
Exceptions To Normal Schedule
General Maintenance Information NOTE: This is a generic maintenance schedule for all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. There may be items listed that do not apply to all vehicles. The Normal Schedule applies to operation of the vehicle under typical, every ...