Ford Mustang Service Manual: Instrument Cluster Replacement
Principles of Operation
NOTE: A new instrument cluster must be reconfigured. Refer to Section.
The instrument cluster is a hybrid electronic cluster (HEC). The instrument cluster uses both hardwired and the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network to transmit and receive information. As a technician it is very important to understand:
- where the input originates from.
- all information necessary in order for a feature to operate.
- which module(s) receive(s) the input or command message.
- does the module which received the input control the output of the feature, or does it output a message over the SCP network to another module?
- which module controls the output of the feature.
The instrument cluster carries out a display prove-out to verify that the warning/indicator miniature bulbs for monitored systems are functioning correctly. When the ignition switch is in the ON position with the engine off, the following warning indicators will prove out:
- anti-lock brake (ABS) warning indicator
- air bag warning indicator
- BRAKE warning indicator
- charging system indicator
- fail safe cooling warning indicator
- low coolant level indicator
- low fuel warning indicator
- traction control indicator
Oil Level Indicator and Tube
Engine (Description and Operation) WARNING: Do not operate the engine with the hood open until the fan blade has been first examined for possible cracks and separation. The 4.6L (4V) (281 CID) Cobra engine is a V-8 with the following features: intercooled s ...
Door Window Glass Adjustment - Height Stop Adjustment
Glass, Frames and Mechanisms (Description and Operation) Component Location Windshield Glass The windshield exterior mouldings are installed with the windshield glass. The windshield exterior mouldings cannot be replaced without removal of the w ...
Subwoofer Speaker - Convertible
Door Speaker - Upper Removal and Installation 1. Remove the front door trim panels (239420). For additional information, refer to Section 2. Remove the upper speaker access cover. 3. Remove the upper speaker housing. 1. Remove the screw. 2 ...