Ford Mustang Service Manual: Differential Case and Ring Gear - Traction-Lok
Rear Drive Axle and Differential
- The axle housing assembly consists of a cast center section with two steel tube assemblies and a stamped differential housing cover (4033). The differential housing cover uses silicone sealant as a gasket.
- The hypoid-design gearset consists of 8.8-inch ring gear (4209) and a
drive pinion gear (4209).
Two opposed tapered roller bearings support the drive pinion in the axle housing (4010).
- A collapsible spacer (4662), located on the differential pinion shaft, maintains pinion bearing preload. The pinion nut (389546-S100) adjusts the preload.
- Differential bearing shims (4067), located between the differential bearing cups (4222) and the rear axle housing, adjust the differential bearing preload and the ring gear backlash.
- The differential case (4204) is a one-piece design with two openings to allow for assembly of the internal components and lubricant flow. Two opposed tapered roller bearings (differential bearings) (4221) support the differential case in the axle housing. Removable bearing caps (4010) retain the differential assembly in the axle housing.
- Inside the differential case, the differential pinion shaft (4211) supports two differential pinion gears (4215). The pinion gears engage the differential side gears (4236), to which the axle shafts (4234) are splined. The differential pinion shaft lock bolt (4241) retains the differential pinion shaft in the differential case.
- An embossed metal tag, bolted to the differential housing cover, contains rear axle identification.
Special Operating Condition Requirements
General Maintenance Information NOTE: This is a generic maintenance schedule for all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. There may be items listed that do not apply to all vehicles. The Normal Schedule applies to operation of the vehicle under typical, every ...
Engine WARNING: Do not operate the engine with the hood open until the fan blade has been first examined for possible cracks and separation. The 4.6L (4V) (281 CID) is a V-8 engine with the following features: dual overhead camshafts four valves per cyl ...
Fuel Tank Draining
Fuel System (Description and Operation) Component Location WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignite ...