Ford Mustang Service Manual: Axle
Rear Drive Axle and Differential
- The differential housing (4010) consists of a cast aluminum housing and a cast aluminum differential housing cover (4033). The differential housing cover uses silicone sealant as a gasket.
- The hypoid-design gearset consists of a 8.8-inch differential ring gear
and a drive pinion gear.
Two opposed pinion bearings (4621) (4630) support the drive pinion gear in the differential housing.
- A differential drive pinion collapsible spacer (4662), located on the drive pinion gear shaft, maintains pinion bearing preload. The pinion nut adjusts the preload.
- Differential bearing shims (4067), located between the differential bearing cups (4222) and the differential housing, adjust the differential ring gear backlash and the differential bearing preload.
- The differential case (4204) is a one-piece design with two openings to allow for assembly of the internal components and lubricant flow. Two opposed differential bearings (4221) support the differential case in the differential housing. Removable differential bearing caps retain the differential assembly in the differential housing.
- Inside the differential case, the differential pinion shaft (4211) supports two differential pinion gears (4215). The pinion gears engage the differential side gears (4236), to which the halfshafts are splined. The differential pinion shaft lock bolt retains the differential pinion shaft in the differential case.
- A circlip, located on the inboard CV joint stub shaft, holds the
halfshaft in the differential case.
When installed, the circlip engages a groove in the differential side gear.
- The rear axle uses SAE 75W-140 High Performance Rear Axle Lubricant F1TZ-19580-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C192-A.
- An embossed metal tag, bolted to the differential housing cover, contains rear axle identification.
Inspection and Verification 1. Verify the customer's concern by operating the climate control system to duplicate the condition. 2. Inspect to determine if one of the following mechanical or electrical concerns apply: Visual Inspection Chart Mechan ...
Rear Drive Axle and Differential The axle housing assembly consists of a cast center section with two steel tube assemblies and a stamped differential housing cover (4033). The differential housing cover uses silicone sealant as a gasket. ...
Brake Booster - Vacuum (Description and Operation) Power Brake Booster The vacuum type power brake booster (2005): is a dual diaphragm, vacuum assisted power brake booster reduces brake pedal force and travel distance. is located on the LH s ...